Toni Braxton is an experienced labor and employment attorney who specializes in employment discrimination cases. She has more than 26 years of experience representing employees and employers, handling all aspects of litigation. Toni, a graduate of Yale University and the University of Alabama School of Law, joined Burruezo & Burruezo in 2019. She is licensed to practice in both Alabama and Mississippi.
Toni has always focused her legal talents on research and writing, drafting hundreds of briefs and motions for various clients over the years, and handling numerous appeals in state appellate courts, federal circuit courts of appeal and the United States Supreme Court. Toni has also published several articles in The Alabama Lawyer and the Addendum during her time on the editorial board for these publications.
Admitted To Practice
- 1997, Alabama State Bar
- 1997, Middle District of Alabama
- 1998, Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- 2000, Northern District of Alabama
- 2001, Southern District of Alabama
- 2008, U.S. Supreme Court
- 2011, Mississippi State Bar
- 2011, Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- 2011, Northern District of Mississippi
- 2011, Southern District of Mississippi
- Yale University (Bachelor of Science, May 1994)
- University of Alabama School of Law (Juris Doctor, May 1997)
Professional & Community Affiliations
- 2002 – 2005, The Alabama Lawyer, Editorial Board
- 2002, Addendum, Editorial Board
- 2003 – 2005, ADOT, Step II Arbitrator Panel
- 1997 – 2000, Macon County Bar Association
- 2000 – 2004, Alabama Lawyers Association, Asst. Secretary
- 2000 – 2001, Magic City Bar Association
Substantive Legal Areas
- Race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, disability, marital status, veteran status and sexual orientation discrimination
- Sexual and other harassment
- Retaliation & Whistleblower
- Wage & Hour
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
- Equal Pay Act of 1973
- Florida Civil Rights Act of 1992
- Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990
- Family & Medical Leave Act of 1993
- Florida Whistleblower Law
- Florida Unpaid Wages Law
- Navigating the Appellate Process: A Guide for Appellants in Civil Cases. The Alabama Lawyer, January 2005.
- How to Prepare Yourself and Your Client for Potential Retaliation in Employment Discrimination Cases. The Alabama Lawyer, September 2004.
- Harassment in the Workplace. The Alabama Lawyer, March 2003.
- Bad Medicine: Good Intentions Can Create Problems. Addendum, February 2003.
Toni grew up in Tuskegee, Alabama. After graduating from law school, she worked as a litigation attorney for several of Alabama’s top firms.