Edson Abadia Jr.
Edson attended Stetson University College of Law, where he was very involved on campus and in the community. While a student, Edson interned with Disability Rights Florida, a non-profit focused on legal issues facing the disability community, as well as served as a Research Assistant for a well-known scholarly writer and disability advocate. Edson served as President of Lambda Legal Society, Stetson’s LGBTQ+ student organization. Under his leadership, Lambda created the Lambda Legal Society PRIDE Scholarship, the first scholarship for current LGBTQ+ and ally students at Stetson, and hosted the Inaugural Pride Flag Raising, Transgender Flag Raising, Alumni Mixer, and numerous events centered around the intersection of art and the law. Edson also served as a member of Stetson’s Campus-Wide Diversity Committee and the Student Bar Association’s Diversity Committee. Edson earned many recognitions throughout law school, including Stetson’s Pride Award, the Victor O. Wehle Award, and the Diaco Law Book Award.
Edson is now an Associate Attorney at Burruezo & Burruezo, where he uses his passion for LGBTQ+ and disability advocacy to help his clients. Edson’s personal identities allow him to connect and empathize with his clients. At the same time, his experience in advocacy work empowers him to zealously represent minority clients and assist employers with diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives in the workplace.
911 Outer Road
Orlando, FL 32814
T: (407) 630-6650
F: (407) 754-2905
Professional & Community Affiliations
- National LGBTQ+ Bar Association
- Tampa’s Hispanic Bar Association
- Central Florida’s Gay & Lesbian Law Association
- Clearwater Bar Association
- Stetson Law’s LGBTQ+ Alumni Advisory Board
- Association of Legal Administrators
- Florida State Minority Supplier Development Council
- South Tampa Chamber of Commerce
- Equality Florida Inc.
Family & Education
Edson, a Florida Native, was born and raised in Daytona Beach, Florida, where he attended Spruce Creek High School. In 2016, Edson graduated from high school with a diploma from the International Baccalaureate Program. Edson then attended the University of Florida, where he graduated in 2019 with a degree in Political Science. After completing his undergraduate degree, Edson graduated from Stetson University College of Law in 2022, receiving his Juris Doctor with a concentration in Social Justice Advocacy. In 2022, Edson was recognized as the runner-up to the National LGBTQ+ Bar Association’s Student Leadership Award, the organization’s highest honor given to law students.
Substantive Legal Areas
- Race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, disability, marital status, veteran status, and sexual orientation discrimination
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Harassment
- Retaliation & Whistleblower
- Wage & Hour
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
- Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990
- Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Equal Pay Act of 1973
- Florida Civil Rights Act of 1992
- Family & Medical Leave Act of 1993
- Florida Whistleblower Law
- Florida Unpaid Wages Law